Monday, June 6, 2011

Sweet Little Donuts



Over the weekend I went down to Old Town Pasadena and found myself in Le Sur Table- a store that can be called a cooking enthusiasts second heaven.  There was everything you could ever want or need for your kitchen.  Pots, pans, cutting boards, molds, spoons, forks, knives...........everything!!! I went a little crazy and bought everything I needed for my kitchen and somethings I didn't need.  Its been on my "to get" list for a while to get a new cutting board that I can use especially for my fruits and vegtables.  To help prevent cross contamination between your meat and produce, you should use seperate cutting boards.  Then I went spoon crazy.  I had to get the classic wooden spoons that reminded me of when my mom used to cook and give me a taste in her big wooden spoon. I then bought special pans to make mini donuts and an icecream/ yogurt machine.  By the time I was done shopping I had two very large bags to walk back to my car that was parked about 4 blocks away in a parking garage.  Yes, my hands were full.  When I finally got home I showed everything I bought to my daughter and we immediately started cooking the donuts.  It was quality time with he and she loves donuts- so she was happy.  Here is the recipe for you to have some fun with your kids at home.

  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour- sifted
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon butter- melted
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray mini donut pwn with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.  Add buttermilk, egg, and butter and stir until just combined.  Fill each donlut cup approximately 1/2 full.  Bake 4-6 minutes or until the top of the doughnuts spring back when touched.  Let cool in pan for 4-5 minutes before removing.  Finish the donuts with glaze or sprinkles.  Makes 24 mini-donuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment